Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Life changing for the better!


A few months back I posted that I had received a scary and life changing diagnosis. It has taken me a while to write this post. I haven’t blogged about my diagnosis yet. I don’t want to down play its importance, I wanted to educate myself and needed to take the time to realize my life was changing forever. I am not dying, I didn’t get something that was going to kill me today but if I didn’t change my life TODAY it would kill me eventually. 

Your life can change any day. It can change today for all we know. I was in disbelief when I went in for a check up back in January. 2 days after my 27th birthday I went to the doctor for a check up it was a fun one blood urine the works. For a while doctors have been monitoring my blood pressure. The last few time I had been in it was higher than normal especially for someone my age and general health. Then we did some more tests and other fun stuff. I left the doctor with the diagnosis of Hypertension stage 1 and prehypertension. (my systolic pressure averages around 150 the normal would be less than 120 and my Diastolic 85 with normal under 80). Need I remind you I am only 27 years old. Commence freaking out on my part. 

There are 5 main causes of high blood pressure: excess alcohol, kidney disease, increased consumption of salt, overweight or obese and family history. 

Although, I am (or was when diagnosed) slightly overweight (about 10 pounds) the only cause I have is Family history. My father was diagnosed when I was a kid he was in his 30’s. I remember when my parents told us we were scared, we tried (and failed) at not stressing him out. I remember him having to take medication. I decided early on that I wasn’t going to take medication at least not yet. I was going to combat this the healthy natural way! 

So lets flash back post babies and marriage. Growing up, during college and after I was always fairly active playing sports and running. I can remember being at my lowest weight 137 just months prior to getting pregnant with my oldest. (keep in mind I am 5’10’’ so thats pretty skinny) Back then I ran 3-4 miles every morning for fun!!! 

Flash forward 6 years and 3 babies. I was working out maybe 2-3 days a week half heartedly and eating what I wanted. * What I wanted wasn’t all that bad we don’t eat much processed food, we stay away from preservatives, eat organic and about 60% fruit, veg and grains. 

Since my diagnosis I have made some big changes. I now work out 5 days a week. But more than working out I have completely overhauled my eating. Sodium is now to a minimum with less than 2300 mg daily, cut out alcohol, eliminated all hydrogenated oils and margarine, we eat brown now (only 100% whole wheat and brown rice) and I am now a vegetarian. 

Let me say this I feel GREAT! I have been on this new track food and diet for 2 weeks and I have lost 10 pounds. But more than weight loss like I said I feel great. We need to LIVE TO EAT not EAT TO LIVE. 
When I first received my life changing news I was scared I’m not gunna lie. Now I find it empowering! My life has changed, my health has changed, I am changed for the better. I truly believe this is a blessing! 

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you are able to control it without those crazy medications. My Mom has had to take medication for high BP and I worry about having it myself. I did have high BP (not pre-eclampsia) in my first pregnancy so I know how you feel and how scary it can be. Thankfully mine is normal right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been an interesting few weeks. And definitely not how I expected 27 to be but I have learned so much about my health! It has been so worth it!

      Delete